Common Core-aligned SAT not ready until 2016

December 9, 2013

Donna Garner Donna Garner

Donna Garner is a retired teacher, researcher, writer, publisher, and conservative activist.
Archive »

WASHINGTON, D.C. – David Coleman, who has never taught a day in his life in K-16, was the main writer of the Common Core Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects — referred to as the Common Core Standards for English.

eraser and testsDavid Coleman is now the head of The College Board. The College Board has just announced that the new SAT (aligned with the Common Core Standards) will not be administered until 2016. The PSAT/NMSQT® (aligned with the Common Core Standards) will not be administered until the fall of 2015.

The good news is that the elections of 2014 are coming; and hopefully if voters elect the right kind of people to Congress who are savvy about the dangers of the Common Core Standards, the Obama administration’s entire plan to take over the public schools through Common Core Standards will be stymied.

I have posted underneath the Washington Post article an explanation about the importance of the writing section on the present SAT.  The SAT writing section has 49 grammar/usage questions (with right-or-wrong answers), and 70% of the score on the writing section is based upon the grammar/usage questions. The essay score accounts for the other 30%.  The research done by the SAT shows that the biggest predictor of success for college freshman is the score on the SAT’s writing section, 70% of which is based upon a student’s ability to use English grammar/usage correctly.

The conclusion that should be drawn is that if students will learn their English grammar/usage, they will become better writers, thus improving their chances of doing well in their first-year courses in college.

It would be a terrible shame if the College Board under David Coleman were to wipe out the grammar/usage part of the SAT; but I would not be one bit surprised if that were Coleman’s plan.

Authored by Donna Garner

Comments

Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Posted on:

Bookmark and Share